Sunday, October 25, 2009

What is the best way to quit smoking?

I've tried the patch and the gum. Problem with that was, I'd have a cigarette in my hand, the patch on my arm, and the gum in my mouth. I was better off with just the cigarette.Are there alternative methods to quitting? Im thinking the cravings are more psychological than physical. I really want to quit though! Please help!
Answer:
Have you tried weening off smoking like medication? Smoke 20 a day for a week, then 18, then 15, ect...The patch and the gum works ok, but you are still getting nicotine and they are still weening you off of it, so why not just do it without the gum and patch?There is also Zyban, which works pretty good, but since it is an anti-depressant, it may effect you differently than others.
By now, you probably know most of the bad things about smoking 鈥?some from firsthand experience. But smoking is an addiction, and just knowing it's bad for you isn't enough to make most people quit. If you think the only thing you have to gain by quitting is a few extra pounds, think again! Five Keys for Quitting
Studies have shown that these five steps will help you quit and quit for good. You have the best chances of quitting if you use them together: Get ready. Talk to your doctor, talk to your friends and family, talk to yourself.
Get support.
Learn new skills and behaviors.
Get medication and use it correctly.
Be prepared for relapse or difficult situations.
Recipe for Quitting
Review your reasons for quitting
Reward yourself for resisting the urge
Say to yourself, "I can quit"
Call a friend and talk instead of smoking
If you get the urge to smoke after a meal, brush your teeth
If you used to smoke while on the phone, pick up a pen instead and doodle to keep your hands busy
Good Reasons to Quit Smoking
Quitting smoking is one of the most important things you will ever do.You will live longer and live better
Quitting will lower your chance of having a heart attack, stroke, or cancer
If you are pregnant, quitting smoking will improve your chances of having a healthy baby
The people you live with, especially your children, will be healthier
You will have extra money to spend on things other than cigarettes
Tobacco use, particularly cigarette smoking, is the single most preventable cause of death in the United States. Ask any doctor and they will tell you, the single most important thing you can do to improve your health is to stop smoking!
Sew your mouth shut.only jking..think about the benefits first, no smelly clothes or home.you'd want that for yourself right.I'm not sure there is anything else to do.it's all up to you, you will live longer and healthier if you stop now.
Just make a firm decision to throw away that trash, and stick to it.Also, don't buy any smoke. If you want to do so, find the closest food selling place and get some french fries or a donut, or something.
clean your teeth when possible, takes away craving for nicotine, if not poss, carry a small container of chopped fruit, an pop one in your mouth when you have a craving. good luck.
The patch helped me quit but I had to start out with the 21mg and work my way down to 7mg. Also, I wasn't around anyone who smoked so that helped alot. Then I went back home up north and visited my daughter, grandsons and some friends who all smoke and now I am smoking again. It is just really really hard and takes alot of will power.ps - plus I gained 20 pounds but have since lost it now that I smoke again
well what worked for me was just not smoking one in the morning. the rest of the days addiction starts from the first one you lit. so id say er...stay home with no one around and no money and no way to get anywhere. well for me that works bc its like..why worry so much about it if i cant get it anyway.i dont know. i found out being pregnant makes a lot of difference hahah.
Cold turkey, baby.
I quit a little over a year ago. The only way to do it is to just quit, don't cut back, or have one here %26 there, or it is too hard. Just get up one morning %26 don't have a cigarette at all! Fight through the cravings, find something else, I eat sunflower seeds,the already shelled ones. I also tried olives, pickles, mints, gum, anything but a cigarette. If the patch helps, then use it. But just be strong %26 don't give in. It's not as hard as you think, I smoked for over 20 years, 1 1/2 packs a day. After a very bad asthma attack I had to quit. I never thought I could. Just put your mind to it %26 don't give in! Try walking, exercising, anything to keep busy %26 distract you. Good Luck!
screw all the bad advice, your physical addiction passes after day 3, after that its all on you.all mental after the first 3 days, Morphine can help be careful though!!
Or have a loved one just simply kick your *** everytime they see you with one/ Hey its tougher to kick smokes than black tar heroin I know.so sometimes tough love works you know.
best of luck but you have to be tuff/ If you think this is a ridiculous advice then your truly not serious... ps bruises go away lung cancer doesnt... Peace
Smoking is a drug addiction. You aren't addicted to smoking, you are addicted to the pleasurable feeling created by nicotine. If you are going to give up cigarettes, you are going to need to either accept the loss of that chemical euphoria or find some substitute. (That's why people who quit often gain weight.) A very good idea is a support group, so you can call for help when the cravings are bad.The phyisical addicition is fleeting -- just a couple of days. But the psychological hunger for that emotional state may last a long time.If you want to quit, you can.
there is this nicotine kinda sweet, try that u will stop in due time... u need to slow down slowly
hypnosis is so effective
There is no magic cure. Just do it. If you REALLY want to quit it will work. Otherwise...
Beyond all the great advice above, you can get a prescription for a fairly new medication called "Chantix". The doctors I work with have been prescribing it and there is a great response!I'm not selling the stuff or anything...it just works. Folks say that lose the urge to smoke- which is unbelievable to me, but that's what I hear.Any physician can prescribe it!Good luck and I hope you can kick the habit!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


What is wrong © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net