Tuesday, May 25, 2010

What is your view of chiropractic?

Please share your opinions about chiropractic. Those who have experienced chiropractic firsthand or medical professionals who have worked with them.what were your thoughts?
Answer:
I was quite skeptical before going, but after I was pleasantly surprised.
Not only did he massage, stretch and crack my back, but I learned a lot about what causes the discomfort and what to do about it.
A good Chiropractor is worth every penny. You'll live better for it. A very worthwhile experience.
I've suffered with back issues my whole life and i was always afraid to go to the chiropractor cause it's just kinda freaky.. and i finally gave in and went and i did a 12 visit program and it did absolutely nothing. it was actually a bit traumatizing but some people swear by them.
I would go to the chiropractor first, because if they can't fix it they will send you to another kind of doctor, but a medical dr. won't send you to a chirioractor, just treat you and not the cause.I was a nurse for a long time. and that is my honest opinion.
a good chirpractor will do wonders. i always feel better after a treatment
A good chiropractor is wonderful. They are more holistic type in healing - don't prescribe drugs. I'm in good shape but suddenly developed neck pain. I thought I just slept crooked. Went to chiropractor whom I've seen for this problem. Its been a year since he saw me last. He was pleased at my increased activity level - weight training and participating in 5k races. He was feeling my neck and could tell I was in severe spasm. He didn't do the adjusment. He used cold laser and a thumper instrument. 2 weeks and 4 visits later I'm feeling better but the xray he took of my neck showed I have a very thin disc at base of neck which seems to be causing the problem. Bottom line, I would see a chiropractor before seeing a surgeron. Being adjusted should not be painful and the result should be less pain.
Ready for a Horror story? This was not my only bad experience at a Chiropractor's office either.
But, this is why I'll never go see a Chiropractor again nor a Nurse Practitioner and why I would only recommend one as the last resort:
I went to a chiropractor for neck pain after being referred by a Nurse Practitioner that was at my doctor's office. It was the first time I was ever referred to a Chiropractor before a doctor took x-rays or did more in depth testing. So, I assumed that the Chiropractor would take x-rays at his office before beginning work, as they often do.
The chiropractor did not take x-rays either, but proceeded to work on me even though I was uneasy about it, trusting soul that I was. The manipulation was more like a nudging massage than a snap, crack from an old school chiropractor. So, I figured that he was just doing an inoccuous procedure to stop a muscle spasm or something.
BUT, after the second visit, I woke up the following morning with my left arm paralyzed from compressed nerves.
MRI's confirmed that I had 3 herniated discs, a compressed spinal cord, pinched nerve roots and more when I went into the chiropractors office. I thought all I had was a stiff neck. The chiropractor could have easily killed me according to the neurosurgeon.
Therefore, do not go to a chiropractor until COMPLETE medical testing, imaging and diagnostics is done to confirm that there is not a more serious problem going on. I blame much of this on insurance companies intimidating or otherwise pressuring doctors to omit necessary testing to keep the insurance company's profits up. (The insurance company calls it keeping medical costs down to make it sound better.)
There is a lot of quackery in Chiropractic.
Watch out for those that recommend that you come in repeatedly for weeks and weeks on end. I have had some chiropractors that treated a problem in a day or two and others that took years to treat a very similar problem by using different manipulation.
Watch out for those that claim to find future problems or point out problems that you didn't know you had. I had one that asked me if I had headaches. I said yes and he proceded to snap my jaw. My bite has not been right since and it did nothing for my headaches.
The first chiropractor I went to was very good but I have not been able to find another good one since his retirement. I'm sticking to conventional medicine now, thank you very much.
Chiropractic is a safe and effective way to help with many conditions. Chiropractic is different than other health care professions in that it allows the body's own natural ability to heal and regulate itself. If you have scoliosis, than you probably have nerve interference which is causing dysfunction in your body, resulting in symptoms. In this case, pain in your back. Chiropractic adjustments release the interference from the brain to the body therebey restoring the integrity of the nerve system and the ability of your body to heal itself. If it is scientific proof you are looking, I have included below a few research studies that demonstrate the effectiveness of chiropractic. Unlike all other "treatments", chiropractic believes that health and healing comes from within, not from the outside. It doesn't need lotions and potions to heal. Only the body can heal, that is, if there is no interference.Research supporting Chiropractic
Last Updated ; 1996.10.06
[ New Zealand Report ]
Report of the Commission of Inquiry, Government Printer, New Zealand, 1979
Inglis, BD, Chiropractic in New Zealand [ Rand Report ]
The appropriateness of spinal manipulation for low-back pain. Project overview and literature review.
Shekelle PG, Adams AH, Chassin MR, et al.
RAND STUDY-CHIROPRACTIC REPORT Vol.5 No.6,
RAND Corporation, Santa Monica, California, 1991 [ Low back pain of mechanical origin: randomised comparison of chiropractic and hospital outpatient treatment ]
T.W.Meade, Sandra Dyer, Wendy Browne, Joy Townsend, A.O.Frank
British Medical Journal vol.300 no.6737 pp.1431-37 Date:1990-JUN-2 Randomized comparison of chiropractic and hospital outpatient management for low back pain: results from extended follow-up.
Meade TW, et al. British Medical Journal, Vol. 311, 1995, pp. 349-351. [ Recovery Rate on Posterior Displacement of Lumbar Vertebra ]
A Retrospective Case Analysis of Pretreatment and Comparative Static Radiological Parameters Following Chiropractic Adjustments
Gregory Plaugher,D.C., Edward E.Cremata,D.C.,and Reed B.Philips,D.C.,PH.D.
Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics
vol.13 no.9 pp498-506 1990-NOV-DEC [ Randomized clinical trial of manipulative therapy and physiotherapy for persistent back and neck complaints: results of one year follow up. ]
Koes, B.W., Bouter, L.M.. et al.
British Medical Journal, 7 March 1992, Volume 304, Pages 601-605. [ 50-Year History of Chiropractic Effectiveness ]
Chiropractic Evaluation Study Task III Report of the Relevant Literature.
MacDonald, M.J., Morton, L.
MRI Project No. 8533-D, For Department of Defense, OCHAMPUS, Aurora, Colorado, 24 January 1986. [ Spinal Manipulation for Low-Back Pain. ]
Shekelle, P., Adams, A.,et al.
Annals of Internal Medicine, 01 October 1992, Volume 117, Number 7, PP590-598.
[ Cost Effectiveness of Chiropractic ]
[ A Study to Examine the Effectiveness and Cost Effectiveness of Chiropractic Management of Low Back Pain ]
Pran Manga, et al.
Pran Manga and Associates, Ontario, Canada, 1993. [ Mechanical Low-Back Pain: A Comparison of Medical and Chiropractic Management Within the Victorian Work Care Scheme. ]
Ebrall, P.S.
Chiropractic Journal of Australia, June 1992, Volume 22, Number 2, PP47-53. [ Cost per Case Comparison of Back Injury Claims of Chiropractic versus medical Management for Conditions with Identical Diagnostic Codes ]
Jarvis, K.B., Phillips, R.B., et al.
Journal of Occupational Medicine, August 1991, Volume 33, Number 8, Pages 847-52. [ Mandated Health Insurance Coverage for Chiropractic Treatment: An Economic Assessment, with Implications for the Commonwealth of Virginia. ]
Schifrin,L.G.
The College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, Virginia, and Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia, January 1992. [ A Comparison of the Costs of Chiropractors versus Alternative Medical Practitioners ]
Dean, D.H., Schmidt, R.M.
University of Richmond, Richmond, Virginia, 13 January 1992. [ Chiropractic versus medical Care: A Cost Analysis of Disability and Treatment for Back-Related Workers' Compensation Cases. ]
Steve Wolk, Ph.D.
Foundation for Chiropractic Education and Research, Arlington, Virginia, September 1988. [ Chiropractic users tend to have substantially lower total health care costs. ]
Journal of American Health Policy, Nov/Dec 1992, Vol.2, No.6
I've had bad chiros, okay chiros, and one great chiropractor. I moved out of state and have not been able to find another great one. My prior Primary Care Provider refused a referral for my insurance because he doesn't think they help. So, I changed PCP's and went to a D.O. I've had great DO's as well, but they can get wrapped up in the insurance mess and start to see too many patients and do less manipulations and more prescriptions.My least favorite chiros: one chewed tobacco during my treatment (HOW GROSS!!) and the other one herded us thru his office like cattle. We had these "jump seats" and we had to watch to see who was next--sometimes people just cut in. Then, we just went behind a 4-5 foot panel for our treatment. It was horrible.The best chiropractor I had never used x-rays on me. He said he could feel what needed to be done. He helped me after a major car accident, and he used some other tests similar to iridology to help in the healing process. He and his partner really seemed to care about his patients and worked us in on short notice when needed.

1 comment:

  1. As you read in the Culture vs. DNA post, there are different types of microbes. Using the Gastrointestinal Effects stool panel, we often see higher than normal levels of oral bacteria in the test results.singapore chiropractor

    ReplyDelete

 


What is wrong © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net