Tuesday, May 25, 2010

What is wrong with my knee?

I've been running since highschool, but after my last two runs my knee has hurt shortly afterward. It's only the outside of my right knee. It hurts to walk and bend it. After the first time I just thought maybe I didn't stretch enough, but once again it hurts. Does anyone know why or what this may be?
Answer:
All the running could've put a lot of stress on the knee. I would give it a break. If it hurts after a week go see a doctor. That's what I recommend. I had to do this for my ankle and it turns out I tore a ligament
WHAT?
It sounds like you may have a torn ACL or possibly have just strained a muscle. Give your knee a couple days rest and see how it's doing. Obviously, don't run on it like you normally do. Also, are you running on pavement or grass? You may be jarring your knees by stepping in holes or uneven ground. Maybe try a surface that has a little give. Any tracks made out of that rubber stuff where you live? It always made my knees feel so much better running on those tracks.
You might have a slightly strained muscle or it could be something worse such as patello femoral syndrome or a torn ligament. If the pain persists or if swelling develops put it on ice and seek medical attention.
If it is on the outside of your knee then it sounds a lot like IT band tendinitis. If it is just to the outside of your knee cap then it may be patellofemoral syndrome. My hunch is that it is IT band tendinitis. You need to make sure you are stretching your gluteal muscles (butt muscles), and putting a bag of ice right on your skin for 15 mins as soon as you can after running. Also taking an over the counter anti-inflammatory (Aleve, Advil, etc.) as directed on the bottle, about an hour before you run can help keep down the inflammation. Try doing this for several days and if the pain persists then you should see an orthopedic doctor and get a referral to go to physical therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


What is wrong © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net